HISTORIC TRAIN, FORT & CANAL TOUR
Historic Train, Fort San Lorenzo & Canal Tour
On this tour you will make your way across the country from the Pacific side to the Atlantic on this historic train. You can also visit the Agua Clara (new locks) of the Panama Canal, see San Lorenzo National Park, Fort Sherman, and the ruins of Fort San Lorenzo on the Caribbean coast.
The day begins with a history-filled journey from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast by train (This was the first interoceanic route utilized to connect both oceans since 1855). After this fun trip with beautiful views of the canal, forests, and Lake Gatún on the historic Panama Canal Railway we will continue our journey to the Agua Clara Locks visitor center of the Panama Canal.
The Agua Clara Locks are the new set of locks that allows largest ships to go through the Panama Canal, and the viewing area from the visitors center allows you to get a close up look of their impressive size and operations as the ships pass through.
After having lunch, we will head to San Lorenzo National Park where we will take a road through the jungle surrounded by lush plantlife and the beauty of the Caribbean sea, in order to bring us to the ruins of Fort San Lorenzo. These are some of the best preserved ruins in Panama and were declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Here you can also check out awesome views of the mouth of the Chagres River, and the beautiful scenery that surrounds it.
Departure time: Customized
Duration: 8 hours (approx.)
Start/Finalize: Your hotel in Panama City
Tour type: Personalized and smalls groups
What is Included?
- Comfortable transportation
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off
- One way train passage
- Entrance fees to Agua Clara visitor center
- Entrance fees to Chagres National Park
- Guided visit to the historic Fort San Lorenzo
- Spanish and English speaking guides
What to Bring?
- Light, comfortable clothes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and hat
Snacks & Drinks
On this day trip you can enjoy drinks such as water, soda or juice. We also provide snacks as tropical fruit salad, crackers or chips. Please note that on this tour lunch is not included, so you have the freedom to choose based on your preference where you would like to purchase this meal.
- Prices shown are in USD, per person, and based on a minimum of 2 people.
- This tour is not physically demanding and is excellent for people of all ages.
- Keep in mind that this tour has an early start and does not include breakfast. We recommend having an early breakfast at your hotel, or bringing food to eat on the way.
- Please note that the train does not operate on weekends or public holidays and is subject to availability.
- When the train is full, and during weekends or public holidays, you can have the option to do the tour in car and the train fare will be deducted from the total cost of the tour.
Reserve this Tour
Please fill out the form below with your booking request. Payment is not required until we verify availability of the tour for your dates with you and review any special requests you might have. By reserving with us you are agreeing to our terms and conditions. If you have any questions regarding how booking works, please see our Frequently Asked Questions for Booking and check out our 3 easy steps to booking with us!